Virtual Labs System Requirements
MSDN and TechNet virtual labs are hosted using a hybrid cloud consisting of Windows Server Hyper-V and Windows Azure. Launching these labs will start a client application based on .NET. Detailed system requirements are listed below.
Read below for the full list of system requirements or use this link to check your system requirements. For support, email email@example.com.
Operating System Requirements
You must be running one of the following operating systems.
- Windows Vista (all editions)
- Windows 7 (all editions)
- Windows 8 (all editions, except Windows 8 RT, which is not supported)
- Windows 8.1 (all editions, except Windows 8.1 RT, which is not supported; RTM or later recommended)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (all editions)
- Windows Server 2012 (all editions)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (all editions; RTM or later recommended)
The .NET Framework 3.5 must be installed on the machine.
holLaunchPad Online is deployed using ClickOnce technology. Any browser supporting ClickOnce is supported. The following browsers have been tested:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, and 10.0 and 11.0 (desktop mode)
- Google Chrome 10+ with Chrome ClickOnce assistant ( https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/eeifaoomkminpbeebjdmdojbhmagnncl)
Click here for step-by-step guide on installing ClickOnce support in Chrome
- Mozilla FireFox 5.0+ with the Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant installed ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/microsoft-net-framework-assist/)
The minimum screen resolution supported is 1280×800, otherwise lab content may be clipped off the screen.
If you are using a smaller resolution, before you launch the lab:
- Right-click your taskbar.
- Click Properties.
- Ensure Lock the taskbar is not checked.
- If you want to auto-hide the taskbar rather than move it to the side of the screen, select the Auto-hide the taskbar check box.
- Set the taskbar location on the screen to Right.
- Click OK.
- The taskbar inside the virtual machine will be partially hidden but you will be able to interact with it.
holLaunchPad Online will configure CredSSP settings required for connectivity to Hyper-V virtual machines. This requires one of the following:
- Administrator permissions on your computer. holLaunchPad Online will present a User Account Control dialog box before making registry changes.
- Your administrator to manually add the required registry keys. Please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954357 for information on how to perform this step.
To connect to running virtual machines, you may be required to meet the following requirements.
- The ability to access holLaunchPad Online
- Some sessions require access to ports 21001 through 21100, this range should be open and available through your router or firewall. Some organizations require you have a firewall client installed and configured.
Requirements may vary from company to company and from session to session. Please check with your system administrator on this requirement if launching from a corporate network.
|First run instructions
- Launch your chosen lab.
- ClickOnce will connect to the holSystems installation files.
- Click Run to begin downloading the holLaunchPad application.
- The application will be downloaded.
- If not already configured, press OK to configure CredSSP support.
- When finished loading, your lab experience can begin.
|For more help
Try our support site, at https://portal.holsystems.com/support.
Support can also be contacted at Support@holSystems.com.
|Frequently Asked Questions
Q. I clicked the launch link, a file appeared in my web browsers recent download, and when I launched I received an error.
A. Check that you are using a supported browser configuration as described in Browser Requirements above.
Q. holLaunchpad opened but I don’t see my VMs, it just says ‘Connecting…’.
A. Check that your firewall has the necessary ports open as described in Network Requirements above.
Q. Can I run labs on my Windows 8 RT device?
A. Unfortunately the lab environment is not compatible with Windows 8 RT at this time.
Q. I closed my lab environment and clicked Discard, how do I resume?
A. Labs are presented in a single session, unless otherwise noted. Clicking ‘Discard’ when exiting a lab session removes your unique session and discarded sessions cannot be recovered.