Let’s continue the fun!
This project is a continuation of doixanh’s personal ROM, known as GingerDX.
(“Ginger” as in “Gingerbread”, and “DX” as in short for “doixanh”)
Brought to you by Team GingerDX:
B.Jay, eagleeyetom, Maze_fr and djnilse
As set in stone by doixanh, the main goal is to have a fast, smooth and lightweight CM7 based ROM with some special features.
GingerDX now even has its own IRC channel!
If you feel like chatting with each other or hanging out with us: #GingerDX on FreeNode
NOTE: Before you click the link to get to FreeNode’s webchat or fire up your IRC clients:
The developers are NOT your personal support helpdesk nor root of endless knowledge.
If you are a developer or have a really urgent or tricky problem come tell us about it.
Screenshots courtesy of eagleeyetom.
- Clean and latest CM7 Hero nightlies. Latest Gingerbread 2.3.7
- Fully working Camera
- Minimal number of apps are installed.
- Stock Kernel Modules: ax8mt (fixed), ext3/4, x8gesture, x8mddi, x8uv, x8mddi, x8smartass, x8netfilter
- Alfs AddOn: Adreno Libs, vold+chargemon, USB Tether, newer Busybox
- The usual things as with other ROMs: WiFi, BlueTooth, USB, Sensors, 3D, Video, FM Radio, Camera, Rooted, JIT,
ZIP-aligned, App2SD, …
- As smooth as doixanh’s CM6 Froyo ROMs in 2D (menu scrolling/flinging…)
- AChep’s ICSandwich Theme included.
- WEP AdHoc support
- ClockworkMod recovery 18.104.22.168
- CallMeLouder: Louder ringer when the phone is inside a bag or pocket.
- Improved Flipping down mutes ringer
- Flipping down snoozes alarm
- Disable LED notification in night
- Back button ends call
- Built-in Transparent Status Bar support
- Hide avatar in SMS
- Quick Copy / Quick Paste
- View.measure() method caching for improved 2D performance
- Custom carrier text
- Built-in loop ringtone support without OGG editing
- Optimized (“smoothened”) scrolling/flinging
- Random Lockscreen
- Sense Lockscreen / Boot sound / Ringtone / Live WallPaper
- Smart dialer
- Sleep button on Power Control widget
- Recent apps on status bar
- Center clock on status bar
- Status bar battery indicator
- Configuration section (with localization for many languages)
- EduRoam WiFi compatible!
- GalleryDX (replacement for Stock Gallery, based on QuickPic)
- ICSified Settings by djnilse
- GDX Update Notification by djnilse
- GPS Country Optimizer by djnilse
- ClockworkMod Recovery (v014+)
- Baseband 015
- Sony Ericsson Stock Kernel or Alfs by alfsamsung and djnilse
- Desire to get rid of Stock Eclair
NOTE: If you have any bugs, ‘Full-Wipe (Factory Reset)’ in recovery first.
- GingerDX v026 Google Code | MediaFire
NOTE: ONLY for CWM! Flash this first! Stock Kernel Modules integrated!
- GingerDX Alfs Kernel AddOn v005 Google Code | MediaFire
NOTE: Flash this after flashing the ROM when you’re on Alfs.
- GingerDX Overclock Module (x8oc.ko v004) Google Code | MediaFire
NOTE: Flash this after flashing the ROM. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
ONLY for Stock Kernel!
- eagleeyetom’s MediaFire Mirror
NOTE: Use this download mirror if you can’t access Google Code.
GDX Update Hotfix and ICSified Settings are for download in djnilse’s post
Other related files
Here are a few extra files out of the compile. Get them from MediaFire.
- A-Theme_Lite.apk – AChep’s A-Theme Lite
- ADWLauncher.apk – CyanogenMod ADW Launcher
- android_audio.mp3 – GingerDX’s boot sound (put it into /system/media)
- Email.apk – for accessing Exchange e-mail accounts
- FileManager.apk – CyanogenMod File Manager
- Gallery3D.apk – CyanogenMod Gallery
- Launcher2.apk – Stock Gingerbread Launcher
- Music.apk – Stock Gingerbread Music (not the Play Music one)
- QuickSearchBox.apk – Was removed from the ROM due to popular request.
Unless stated otherwise put the apk into /system/app, set permissions and reboot.
Project sources and licenses
- Our source code repository at GitHub (for GingerDX v023 onwards)
Sources forked from Cyanogenmod are published under the terms of the Apache License 2.0
Code contributions and binary distributions are published under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
“Soft-Modders” modifying pre-built ROMs, or using parts thereof, are exempt from the licensing terms. You are NOT allowed to modify the pre-built ROM, or any parts thereof, in any way, shape, or form without express permit.
If you want to join in development to help advancing the ROM or port it to other devices then please drop us a PM.
- doixanh’s source repository at GitHub (for GingerDX up to v022)
Sources and binary distribution of GingerDX up to v022 are published under license terms set forth by doixanh.
Previous GingerDX releases by doixanh
- v018 | Notification Bar Fix
- v017 | Floating Point Fix
- v016 | WiFi Hotfix
- v015 | Phone Hotfix
- v014 | WiFi Hotfix
Previous AddOns (Optional)
NOTE: Flash these AFTER you flashed GingerDX
- Timescape for GingerDX v010+
- Stock Kernel Modules (GingerDX v014 – v022)
Flash with CWM. This package contains: AnDyX’s Dualtouch for Cypress, AnDyX’s smartass governor, ext3/4, X8Gesture, X8MDDI, X8UV.
- Optional: Flash Alfs
Note that flashing a kernel requires you to unlock the boot loader. Check the manufacturing date of your phone here first to avoid hard bricking!
- Download the ROM
- Copy the ZIP file to your SD card
- Reboot to CWM (v014 or newer) or xRecovery (v013 or older)
- Install custom zip
- Install the Stock Kernel Modules AddOn or Alfs Kernel AddOn
All versions will preserve your DATA partition, so don’t worry about losing apps or settings.
GingerDX natively supports T-Mobile themes. You can find other themes in the list of available T-Mobile themes in XDA Android’s theme sticky.
Download the theme of your choice onto your phone and use Theme Chooser (included in GingerDX) to select theme.
Very important. Read all before posting questions!
1. This ROM is based on doixanh’s personal ROM and continued in the same philosophy to keep it as lightweight as possible. You can report bugs in this thread and suggest additions, but understand we’re not obligated to fix or include them. We’ll fix what is needed, and we’ll include what makes sense.
2. We are NOT responsible for any bugs caused by custom-made fixes/additions/tweaks. You use them at your own risk and responsibility!
3. Regarding the copyright branding at the bottom in Lockscreen: We will NOT remove them nor provide any option to disable them. Don’t PM/Post to ask for the removal or nag otherwise.
4. If you have battery drain, try the following:
- Clear battery stats in recovery.
- Freeze unused services (like Email, DSP Manager, Maps). This is important.
- Turn OFF ‘Allow mock locations’.
- Don’t set brightness too high.
- Don’t install too many unused apps.
- Turn OFF WiFi, 2G, 3G, GPS, Bluetooth when not in use.
- Turn OFF LED Succession.
- Reboot after you listen to music. Music service caused battery drain (in the past).
Generally, doixanh and me usually get 2-3 days out of a charge (give or take depending on usage).
5. If you still have battery drain after following Step 4, try:
- Full wipe in recovery, re-install GingerDX.
- Use Stock ROM for several days to see if the battery problem is caused by GingerDX or not.
- If it doesn’t drain, try installing one of your apps, test battery for a day, install another one, and test.
- and so on…
That way you will know what’s the cause of your battery drain.
Thanks go to the CyanogenMod Team, doixanh for this great ROM and all the modules, racht, nobodyAtall, zdzihu, jerpelea and lots of others…
Thanks also go out to Google for their great little Android.
And don’t let us forget to throw Sony Ericsson a thanks for their nice X8 hardware but craptastic software support.
We’re not responsible if this ROM bricks your lovely phone. Use it at your own risk!